Thursday, July 5, 2018

I Always Sucked With Coming Up With The Titles...

So, forgive me if I'm not as quick witted as I normally could be. I've spent the last 10 hours driving around with the hubby doing business calls, seeing friends, running errands and doctor appointments. Boy, am I beat.

Since this is only my second post I wouldn't have told you that now that our youngest, Will, is at Air Force boot camp that I have since gone to the US Postal website and enrolled in their notification program. That way if and when Will sends a letter they will scan a picture of it and send it to me the day they deliver it. I normally get the notifier early in the morning and the first time it worked. I was chomping at the bits to get home that afternoon to run to the mailbox and grab his letter while running back up the drive way laughing with glee and dancing cause I GOT A LETTER!! Lol!

Buuut, this second letter that came today DIDN'T have a notifier this morning...WHY? Because some how it was sent to my neighbors email address instead?! How the hell does that even happen? I got the letter. It was a NICE surprise laying in my mailbox. But my neighbor sent me a text after the fact saying she received the scanned picture and it was in her box. Just to make sure I ran and checked her mail just to make sure there wasn't two letters instead of one. Nope, no letter. SO, I cant even rely on the postal system.... Oiyyyy

I've written Will every day since he left. We dropped him at the recruiter on June 19th and I had already given him one for the road and then written every day after that. I just cant NOT write him. Yes, this is new and scary for him but it's new for me too. I cant talk to my kid on the phone or see his face through Face Time so yeah, old school snail mail here I come!

His first letter last week you could hear and feel the fear coming off his words. This is a 18 year old guy that is extremely private and I may get a half hug and a monotone I love you. That's it. So when my first letter is nothing BUT emotion its playing all sorts of tricks on me, lol!  So, I've even had to figure out how to write my letters to him. I wont feed into his fear and I sure wont "Aw, poor Will" him either. My brain goes into mom mode and I'm there to act as an anchor for him and to get his mind focused again.

Today's second letter wasn't as emotional. Thank goodness. That's telling me somethings working. Either my letters or his natural fight or flight reflex is kicking in and he gets its all about survival. He told me that his flight, which consists of 40-60 guys in each flight, is young and immature. OHHH the headache for all the older ones in the flight to deal with this but deal they will have to. I had to remind him that they all have lessons to learn and the young can teach the old just as much as the old can teach the young.

Ok, I'm wrapping this one up for tonight. I just wanna lay here lol! Its definitely going to be an early bedtime for me!! Later guys!!



2 comments:

Sally said...

As you read fear in Will's letter, I read LOVE for him from you. Having never gone through this, the only thing I can relate to was when Patti went to college in Valdosta. She graduated high school at 17 and it was definitely an adjustment for the both of us. She was really too young for that, and instead of 'learning' she partied. No, she didn't go back after that first year. Crystal, she wanted me to send her an Easter basket, and I did. LOL

Sending love to you, and prayers for Will.

xoxo

Crystal Waid said...

Believe me Sally Girl, I read the love too because of the fear. Will seriously thought that it wouldn't affect him as long as he kept his head down and his mouth shut. I told him a few times that everyone will be affected in some way. When he called home 48 hrs after getting to Lackland he was trying SO dang hard to sound confident but halfway thru his voice broke and your heart just broke for him it was shaking so much.

And yeah, I bet Patti going off to college at 17 was HUGE for the both of you! I don't know if I could have let Sam go at that age!! And I SOOO would have sent anything she wanted too, LOL!!!