Monday, July 16, 2018

HE FINALLY CALLED!

It was the sweetest voice you ever did hear too! Will got his first real phone call and called last Friday night at 7:44PM and we got to talk for a whole 6 minutes! When the call came over my phone it also came across my iPad I was on at the time. At first I just looked at it and it took a few seconds for my brain to rationalize what I was seeing, lol!

I had planned on recording the call too.... Had the little voice recorder in my hot little hand and everything. We (Tim and I) answered the call and I pushed record.. Or so I thought. I still don't know why the damn thing didn't but I guess now its kind of a moot point.

Hello? From me. Hi, From him. Hello? From Tim and a more confident HI from him, lol! Guess he was as unsure as us on how we would sound. It only took about 2 seconds for that to last and we were off asking questions and just sitting back and letting him talk. And talk. And talk some more! DAMN we needed to send his ass to boot camp more often if we could actually now get him to talk, what?!

While I kept check on the time we listened while he told us about calling us, his dad and his girl, Jen. Then he let us know that he was settling in just fine and he actually liked it. He stated that one of his wing men, Justin, had come up to him last week and said, "Hey, my girlfriend told me that her and your mom have been talking and know each other and that you're Crystal's son and I just thought I'd introduce myself and shake your hand." LOL! I loved that! So now they are friends and come to find out they had been working together closely anyway before that. This is the part about it all that I love so much. When we went through all of this with our oldest, Ty, we've made some long time friendships with the Airmen AND their families!

He let us know that he's one of 4 element leaders. That's a pretty important role too. If in the first few days you have shown some kind of leadership your flights Training Instructor (or TI for short) will hand select 4 (out of 40-60 guys) for the whole flight. They act as an assistant (with authority) to the training instructor. He said that so far he's had the job for a few weeks and you can also lose it just as fast as you got it if you screw up in the slightest.

He also said that he was doing good with his PT time. PT stands for physical training and they do a LOT of it. A mile and a half, push ups, sit ups, pull ups, drills and so much more. He did say that his running time he got down to an 11 minute and 33 second time. That's pretty dang good seeing as how before he left he was hitting that same run at between 15 and 16 minutes.

Um, what else, he also talked bout assembling and reassembling his M16. He said it was easy but they don't time them any longer. In my opinion, I don't think that was a good thing to do. In times of war its good to do that kind of stuff in a hurry. Wont have time to "take your time" during a gun fight...

He also said that he was eating very good too. That he actually loved the food.  I heard mention of lots of sausage and bacon. Two foods I haven't gotten him to eat in years. Little stinker. And about that time I noticed that our time limit was up and we said our I love yous and see you soons. It was SO good to hear his voice. It just made it real that he wasn't "gone" but just not here right now. I tell ya, the lack of communication really plays with your head and heart.

So, that call did wonders for me. I've only received the questionnaire back last week and nothing since. Kinda bummed about that but I know that starting this week and on they'll be even more busy. This week is the gas chamber and I can't wait to here how that went!!!


2 comments:

Sally said...

Oh, that precious young man. He's sure growing up fast. I know y'all are so proud of him! Bless his heart, and bless all of you who love him so much. I'm so glad you got to talk to him. Love to all.

Donna (Texas) said...

So glad he’s liking it! Was worried except for the fact that he likes structure so much...good deal!
You heart never lets go of them...never!!
I love you♥️
mammy